Sunday, January 16, 2011

About Google

When we ask the question "is Google making us stupid?" I would say no. The fact that we have the world laid before us in a simple search engine makes us more efficient if anything, not stupid. If we are going to use Google, we are spending more time accessing information than searching in the dark for it. Hopefully people will take more time to read information now that they spend less time searching for it. Nostalgics may regret that the youth has very little knowledge of how to use a library's card catalog, but because we don't use it doesn't make us stupid, its obsolete and useless outside of a library anyway. Many of us have learned how to use search engines like Google and others, adapting and learning new technology rather than rejecting it because its new. I don't know where the idea comes from that if something's new, it therefore is bad, but that's the attitude my parents have towards technology. I understand that if we Google something and just click on the first result that doesn't do our learning justice, but we can be taught how to use new technologies effectively. Google maps is an amazing and easy way to find where you're going. One of the more useful features is the estimated time it gives you from point A to point B. Older paper maps don't account for traffic pattens like Google does.

While I don't feel that Google is making me stupid I feel that technology users are dependent upon Google and its extra-convenient services. Google is THE search engine to go to and as a result they are wealthy and have gained incredible information about Google users. Targeted ads are one of the results of Google gathering information about its users. The ads bother some people, but not me, I've found some good stuff from targeted ads. I realize the internet isn't private and therefore I try not to divulge personal information on the internet. They can probably get private information from me anyway, but since they can screw anybody else over in the same way I don't feel special. I only get scared when I'm being treated differently. Google does everything I can ask for and I don't even use all of its services. I could care less if it gets bigger, more Google for me, it hasn't disappointed me yet. If Google is going to get 'malicious' or go 'rouge' like it sounds some people are worrying about someone will stop it. Now if you'll excuse me I have some cat videos to catch up on over on YouTube.com.

No comments: